Courts

Suspended sentence for man who failed to provide headstones ‘a warning’ to other businesses, trading standards claim

The suspended jail sentence handed out to a Spalding man who failed to provide headstones ‘serves as a warning to traders that they cannot get away with unfair and fraudulent business practices’, trading standards say. Julian Karl Gaunt, director of JG Select Memorials Ltd, pleaded guilty to five of nine counts relating to failing to deliver or give refunds for ...

Read More »

Mum of teen killed on building site speak of her own ‘life sentence’

The mother of a Holbeach teenager killed on a building site has spoken of her ‘life sentence’ after a trial relating to his death ended this week. During the four years since 18-year-old Josh Disdel died, his mum has battled health problems including a ‘mini-stroke’ brought on by the stress of the case. Fiona-Jane Lobley collapsed in Lincoln Crown Court ...

Read More »

Drink driver found asleep at wheel told police he didn’t know why he was there

A driver who was almost three times over the legal alcohol limit was found asleep at the wheel, a court has heard. Edgaras Rainys, 33, of Queens Road admitted driving with excess alcohol as well as having no insuranceor driving licence when he appeared at Boston Magistrates Court. Prosecuting, Shelley Wilson said police had been informed on May 2 about ...

Read More »

Guilty verdicts over Holbeach teen’s death on building site

Two construction managers and a building contractors were today (Monday) found guilty of breaching health and safety following the death of a teenage groundworker after a collision on a new Boston housing estate. Josh Disdel 18, from Holbeach, was working in a manhole at the White Bridges site off St Thomas Drive, in Boston, when he was hit by a van ...

Read More »

Spalding man who failed to supply headstones given suspended jail sentence

A Lincolnshire stonemason who failed to supply memorial headstones to his customers after getting into financial trouble was today (Monday) given a suspended jail sentence. Julian Karl Gaunt, 53, from Spalding, admitted failing to supply ceremonial works to four customers in 2016 after his memorials business collapsed. Gaunt also pleaded guilty to the theft of one memorial headstone from a ...

Read More »

Defence pleads its case in trial over Holbeach teen’s death on building site

A construction manager charged with breaching health and safety following the death of a teenage groundworker on a Boston housing estate did not have the responsibilities alleged by the Health and Safety Executive, a jury was told. Josh Disdel 18, from Holbeach, was working in a manhole at the White Bridges site off St Thomas Drive, in Boston, when he was ...

Read More »

Slavery rule for car wash owner

The owner of a Pinchbeck car wash is the first in the country to have an anti-slavery order put on him after being found to have employed illegal workers on ‘little or no pay’. Boston Magistrates’ Court approved the two-year order against Mohamed Hamza at a hearing on Monday May 9. Hamza, who runs the M&H car wash on Enterprise ...

Read More »

Stonemason accused of failing to provide headstones back in court ahead of trial

A stonemason who is accused of failing to supply memorial headstones to his customers after getting into financial trouble has today (Thursday) appeared at Lincoln Crown Court. Julian Karl Gaunt, 53, had been due to go on trial at Lincoln Crown Court in April 2020 – but the hearing was adjourned because of the coronavirus outbreak. It was the third time Gaunt’s ...

Read More »

Spalding man was three times the legal alcohol limit in 2pm collision

A Spalding driver involved in a traffic collision, was found to be three times over the legal alcohol limit at two in the afternoon. Kestas Zickus, 51, of Pennygate, admitted driving with excess alcohol and without insurance when he appeared before District Judge Peter Veits sitting at Boston Magistrates Court. Prosecuting, Lou Johnson said police came across the two vehicle ...

Read More »

Pair’s violent parking argument left one unconscious

Two strangers are facing jail after a violent confrontation over parking which left one unconscious. Appearing separately before District Judge Peter Veits at Boston Magistrates Court, Lee Seymour, 51, of Mansell Close and Tim Herd, 45, whose address was not listed, both admitted affray in the late evening incident on New Street in Spalding November 9. Prosecuting, Lou Johnson said ...

Read More »

Fine for man whose ‘toxic’ waste burns at home reportedly hit health of neighbour and their animals

A man has been fined over £5,000 after he burnt waste illegally for months on end at his home. Adam Ivory, 38, of Magnolia Cottage, Tydd St Giles stored and burnt waste without a permit between April 2019 and September 2020. A neighbour reported that commercial waste was being burnt at the site every 3-5 weeks where it was being ...

Read More »

Holbeach teen died after being hit by van driven by colleague, court hears

An 18-year-old ground worker died after he was crushed by a works van while clearing out a drain on a new housing estate, a jury heard today (Tuesday, April 26). Josh Disdel, 18, from Holbeach, was working at the White Bridges site off St Thomas Drive, in Boston, when he was hit by a van being driven by a work colleague ...

Read More »

Man tells court he’s given up drink after assaulting police officer

A Spalding man, who smashed his handcuffed wrists down on a policeman’s hands, has been given a suspended prison sentence. Mantas Stirbys, 41, of Lansdowne Court admitted being drunk and disorderly as well as assaulting a police officer, when he appeared before District Judge Peter Veits sitting at Boston Magistrates Court. Lou Johnson, prosecuting, said police went to a Spalding ...

Read More »

Man had electric stun device, knife and baton

A man found in possession of three offensive weapons, has been given a suspended prison sentence by a district judge sitting at Boston. Nevzat Sevri, 32, of Spalding Road, Holbeach, had admitted all three offences when he appeared at Boston Magistrates Court in March and was appearing for sentence following a pre sentence report by the Probation Service. Lou Johnson, ...

Read More »

Man jailed for attack that hospitalised victim with serious head injuries

A 25-year-old who attacked a man leaving him with a fractured skull and bleeding on the brain has been sent to prison. Connor Tierney of Langwith Drive, Holbeach had admitted causing grievous bodily harm to Richard Scott when he appeared at Boston Magistrates Court two weeks ago and was appearing for sentence following a pre sentence report from the Probation ...

Read More »

Fined for stealing cooking oil from fish and chip shop

Two Londoners have admitted stealing cooking oil from a Surfleet fish and chip shop. Nencho Borisov, 37, and Krastyo Asenov, 35, both from Wood End in London, admitted stealing £50worth of cooking oil from The Cod Squad in Surfleet on April 2. The Boston Magistrates Court heard that police found the two men in a Mercedes van with the cooking ...

Read More »

Wanted man denies robbing petrol station

A wanted man from Holbeach denied a charge of robbery when he appeared at Lincoln Crown Court.  Connor Tierney, 25, of Langwith Drive, was on bail for a charge of robbery on March 15 in Long Sutton. He is accused of robbing the BP Main Road Filling Station, in Long Sutton, of a quantity of alcohol, cigarettes and a Yodel ...

Read More »

Man spotted driving erratically blamed being over alcohol limit on lack of food

A driver told magistrates he thought he’d been found over the alcohol limit because he had not eaten for hours. Szymon Platek, 46, of Eastern Road, Holbeach St Matthews admitted driving with excess alcohol when he appeared before magistrates in Boston. Marie Stace, prosecuting, said Platek was stopped by officers when driving his Audi car in Tattershall Road in Boston ...

Read More »

Third ban for man who told court he wanted to drive for a living

A Spalding man who told magistrates that driving disqualifications had ‘ruined his life’ as he had wanted to be a professional driver, has been banned again. Valdis Caune, 31, of Regent Street, admitted driving while disqualified and without insurance when heappeared at Boston Magistrates Court. Prosecuting, Marie Stace said he was stopped by police while driving his Mercedes C220 in ...

Read More »

Man denies making indecent images of children

A man has appeared in court at Boston on allegations of making and distributing indecent images of children. Philip Beattie, 39, of George Avenue, Gedney Drove End has denied three allegations ofmaking indecent photographs of children and one of distributing an indecent image. All the offences are alleged to have taken place between October 2020 and May 2021 and involve ...

Read More »