Sutton stung after double injury blow

A double injury blow damaged Long Sutton’s chances of victory in their Division One clash at Wapping 2nd on Saturday.

Tom Baguley and Jamie Featherstone were both receiving treatment when Wapping scored the opening goal with Sutton two players down.

The hosts then extended their lead late in the first half before Sutton rallied after the break.

Tireless running from man-of-the-match Harry Synnott helped create chances, but unfortunately Sutton were unable to convert any of them.

Long Sutton 2nd turned the Division 3NW form book on its head with a cracking 5-2 home win over third-placed Cambridge Vets.

The hosts only had 11 players available, but a side with a good balance of youth and experience clicked.

Cambridge opened the scoring inside the first 10 minutes. But Sutton hit back with three goals before half-time through Matt Goodley (2) and Gary Hales.

The visitors again raised their game early in the second period to reduce the deficit, but Josh Baker restored Sutton’s two-goal advantage.

Sutton sealed their success with a fifth goal which was the pick of the bunch as Baker slotted home his second.

Long Sutton 4th suffered a heavy 8-1 home defeat against Louth 2nd in Division 6NW.

The final scoreline did not do justice to the efforts of Kieran Forrest, Jacob Synnott and Ed Munson in the home side’s defence.

Fate was particularly unkind to keeper Tyler Hagan who put in another stellar performance.

Ian White’s second half goal after a good period of pressure was no less than the team deserved.

Long Sutton Ladies came back from a goal down to claim a derby success against Wisbech Town and register another important league win.

A lethargic opening 20 minutes saw Wisbech take the lead despite a couple of good saves from Sutton keeper Lorraine Wallis.

Sutton started the second half brightly and their pressure eventually paid off with Leanne Woodhead firing home a cracking strike.

Sutton continued to press and from another short corner Lyn Tancred shot firmly and the ball cannoned off a Wisbech stick to bypass all defenders and the keeper and give the hosts a deserved lead.

Both sides created chances in the final exchanges with Wallis producing a couple of brilliant saves to protect Sutton’s advantage.

Leave a Reply