James Clifton who scored for Tulips in their 3-0 win.

Plastic pays well for Tulips at Saints

There was nothing artificial about Spalding United’s second-half display at Boldmere St Michael’s on Saturday in the Midland Division of the Northern Premier League.

Three goals in a five-minute spell propelled Elliot Sandy’s side to a 3-0 win on the Sutton Coldfield club’s 3G pitch.
“We’ve been funny this season on astroturf,” said Sandy. “We’ve been a bit hit and miss in terms of we’ll play well in patches.
“In the first half we were miles off it, nowhere near good enough for our standards.”
But at half-time changes saw the Tulips come back out in inspired form.
“We came out and we blew them away,” said Sandy. “We tweaked things a little bit and the shape and everything we did had that little bit of pace about us.
“We were sharp to things and were pressing all over the pitch. We kept Boldmere quiet so it’s a great win. It’s always tough against teams on astroturf but the boys did well.”
Chances were at a premium in the first half with Tyler Winters heading narrowly wide, while the Saints hit a post in the opening stages before an effort from James Clifton was tipped over the bar.
However, the game was all over as a contest within 13 minutes of the second half starting. Clifton glanced in a header from Glenn Walker’s cross after 54 minutes and two minutes later Clifton turned provider when he released Tyler Winters to drill home the second.
It was 3-0 after 58 minutes when Boldmere full back Lewis Allison headed the ball into his own net when under no pressure.
Sandy said: “We need to be starting games like we did the second-half.
“I think Riley (O’Sullivan) coming on at half-time really changed it for us.
“He put himself about and he’s one of those lads who no-one wants to be marking because he’s always running and chasing, harrying things.
“Clifton got a great goal and then it was a great through ball for Tyler for 2-0. After that we were comfortable.
“It’s a really good win and puts us in a good position.”
Leaders Harborough had no game, allowing the Tulips to move within a point, albeit from two games more, and pull eight points ahead of third-placed Anstey Nomads.
Sandy’s men have no game on Saturday but are at home to Lye Town next Tuesday.
Tulips: Breeden, Clifton, Warburton, Walker, Stainfield, Cartwright, Hilliard, Draper, Winters, Graham, Curtis.
Subs: Freeman, Barker, O’Sullivan, Sherif, Bennett.
Attendance: 156.

p Holders Moulton Harrox are out of the Lincolnshire County FA Junior Cup after going out to Wyberton in the semi-final.
Declan Earth and Joe Townsend were on target for the visitors in a 4-2 defeat at the Lincolnshire League side.

p In the Premier Division of the Peterborough League, the battle of the two bottom sides was a thriller with Tydd eventually missing out by the odd goal in seven.
They trailed 3-0 at half-time against Ramsey Town but hit back with a trio of late goals. Man of the match Mitchell Johnson pulled one back after 76 minutes and Marcio Martins doubled their tally six minutes later. With a minute to go, Samuel Bedwell-Byatt found his way to goal but the hosts’ fourth goal meant it was not enough.
Archie Rickards scored twice as Crowland Town stayed in the title hunt with a 3-2 win against Whittlesey Athletic Reserves. Harry Grigas got their other goal.
Holbeach United Reserves remain in trouble near the foot of the table after succumbing to a 2-0 defeat at Leverington Sports.
In Division One, Calvin Bird and Rowen Smith found the net for Long Sutton Athletic but visitors Deeping United struck four times to take all the points.

Leave a Reply