A man found in possession of three offensive weapons, has been given a suspended prison sentence by a district judge sitting at Boston.
Nevzat Sevri, 32, of Spalding Road, Holbeach, had admitted all three offences when he appeared at Boston Magistrates Court in March and was appearing for sentence following a pre sentence report by the Probation Service.
Lou Johnson, prosecuting, told District Judge Peter Veits that police went to Sevri’s home on another matter at 7.40pm on October 25 last year and he was arrested.
She said they then went on to search his car where they found an extendable baton in the driver’s door pocket and a lock knife in the central arm rest.
She said that in his home they found a stun device which emitted an electrical spark designed to give an electric shock.
Ms Johnson said Sevri admitted all three belonged to him.
Mitigating, Daven Naghen said all three weapons had been bought on line and were illegal.
He said Sevri did not realise this but had also admitted he did not do any research to find out if they were legal.
He said Sevri had bought the stun gun for his girlfriend’s protection and it was usually kept in a kitchen drawer, whilst the knife had been used to cut cables in the car and the baton had been for his own protection.
He told the judge he had been categorised by the Probation Service as a ‘low risk’ of reoffending and that he would lose his accommodation and his job if he was sent to immediate custody.
Judge Veits told Sevri that it was the first time he had troubled the courts but it was ‘alarming’ that he had three weapons.
He sentenced him to a total of six weeks in prison but suspended it for a year and ordered him to carry out 100 hours of unpaid work for the community in that time.
He was also ordered to pay a total of £213 in court costs and charges.