Benefactor is to be recognised

The latest blue plaque to be erected by the Spalding Civic Society will recognise a lady who gave money to local churches and schools.

The plaque for Charlotte Charinton is set to be erected at 11 London Road at 11am on Saturday, May 18.
She was born in 1801, the younger daughter of wealthy Gedney Hill farmer Thomas Charinton who, when he died, gave his youngest his estate.
Charlotte used the money to restore the parish churches of Holbeach, Cowbit, Fleet, St Mary and St Nicholas in Spalding and All Saints in Holbeach after it had been damaged by lightning.
She also helped fund the building of St Paul’s Church in Fulney alongside the vicarige and schoolrooms, and a church in Spalding called St Peter’s which was in Priory Road before it was demolished.
St Paul’s cost £30,000 and was consecrated in 1880. Its first vicar was the Rev Richard Guy Ash, grandson of Charlotte’s older sister Sarah, who Charlotte had encouraged to train to become a clergyman.
The Rev Ash was to remain as vicar of Low Fulney until his death in 1935.
Charlotte died in 1888 leaving a squabble over who was to inherit the money from her estate.
It will be the first blue plaque the Spalding Civic Society has erected for a woman and follows secretary Marion Brassington’s research.
Relatives of Charlotte are due to be in attendance at the ceremony.
A spokesman for the society, said: “We all remain in Miss Charinton’s debt.
“South Holland, like most of Lincolnshire, is rich in mediaeval churches and that the architectural glory of many local ones was preserved from neglect or misguided alteration, owes much to the quiet munificence of Charlotte Charinton.”

Leave a Reply