Sue Dewar got the better of vice captain Chris Vickers to win the Singles Knockout Club Trophy in Spalding Golf Club’s ladies’ section.
Played in drizzly conditions, Dewar (22 handicap) had to give Vickers (30) eight shots – and it told as the latter was 2up after eight holes.
Dewar hit back around the turn with some excellent golf in deteriorating conditions to be 1up after 12 holes.
Winning the 14th and 15th, Dewar was in a commanding position of being 3up with three to play. Vickers hit back with a par on the par three 16th to cut the deficit to 2up – only for Dewar to see out the match with a two-putt par on the 17th.
- Dianne Platt saw off 27 other lady members to win the latest Medal competition at Surfleet.
Platt, with a nett 72, edged out Maureen Orwell (73) and Sue Dewar (74) in second and third.
All three lady members lost 0.4 handicap points resulting in a playing reduction of one for Orwell and Dewar.
- The Spalding ladies had a bit of fun with their ‘yellow peril’ event, which was played in drawn teams of three and used Stableford scoring.
The winning team consisted of Olive Gooderson, Sybil Thorpe and Sue Watson (75 points) ahead of Theresa Starbuck, Maureen Orwell and Mags McArdle in second on 70 points.
- The Sunday Medal attracted 14 ladies – but nobody could do better than winner Chris Leggett (nett 72). The win resulted in a handicap cut of one stroke for her.
Second spot went to Jean White (73), with Lynda Double (75) third.
- The Groom Cup (pairs bogey competition) result: 1st Tracy Siddle & Jackie Bailey Scott (+2); 2nd Sue Matthews & Olive Gooderson (+2); 3rd Hannah Thorold and Margaret Barkway (level).
- Friendly results: Spalding 3 King’s Lynn 1 (Chris Vickers & Debra Ward won 1up, Sybil Thorpe & Jean Harvey won 5&3, Rowena Hughes & Maureen Orwell won 3&2, Yvonne Greaves & Sarah Halgarth lost 5&4). Boston 2 Spalding 2 (Chris Vickers & Jean White lost 6&5, Lesley Williams & Lisa Howling won 3&2, Olive Gooderson & Phil Borst lost 1 down, Di West & Beryl Skinner won (4&2). Seacroft 2.5 Spalding 1.5 (Elizabeth Holbrook & Jenny Pipe won 3&2, Ruth Atkins & Margaret Barkway halved, Millie Thorold & Paula Brown lost 3&2, Mags McArdle & Jean White lost 2&1).