Spalding Hockey Club men face wait on survival

It’s a case of wait and see for Spalding 1st men’s East Midlands Hockey League Premier B status as they ended the season with a fine victory at the Lee Valley Hockey Centre in the Olympic Park.

Spalding did their part with a superb 1-0 victory over the already promoted East London 1st at the weekend

But both of the teams around them also won, ensuring Spalding finish third from bottom and waiting to see how the EHL will be rearranged for next season.

Both teams created early chances, but with a disciplined defence Spalding held firm, with fine goalkeeping coming from Man of the Match, Nathan Davy.  

Spalding went into half-time level at 0-0. Determined to break the deadlock, Spalding upped the tempo, which resulted in well-earned short corners, one of which was calmly executed into the top corner by Rob Dalton to make it 1-0.

With 15 minutes to go, Spalding demonstrated a solid team performance, working together all over the pitch, coming away worthy winners and proving why they should be in this league.

Whether they are or not next season now depends on the league’s decision as they restructure the East leagues.

Spalding Men’s 2s finished their Division Four NW season in emphatic fashion with a 6-1 demolition of Cambridge South 3s, Darren Grooby, Ryan Mountney and Richard McKenna all scoring two goals each.

Spalding Men’s 3rds had already guaranteed second place in the same division and they closed a successful campaign losing 2-1 at Cambridge South 2s despite a Ben Scholes goal.

Spalding 4s were 3-1 winners over St Neots 3s in Division 5NW.

Division 6NW ended for Spalding 5s with a depleted XI losing 5-0 to champions Bourne Deepings 5s.

Spalding could only field the bare XI with four juniors included in a very youthful side.

They defended well against a Bourne barrage for over 40 minutes before the home team got a goal.

Spalding continued to push and were unlucky when Tom Bland hit the post.

However, despite strong defensive work and good goalkeeping, Spalding went in at half-time 2-0 down.

The second half was very similar, with Spalding holding it to 2-0 for over 20 minutes.

Unfortunately, with no subs, energy levels were pushed to the limit and Bourne Deeping scored a further three goals.

It was amazing to see the 13-year-olds hold their own against a tough and determined team.

The man of the match recognition was awarded to Harry Blackman.

Leave a Reply