Holbeach defy setbacks to hit back twice for a point

Holbeach twice hit back to earn a share of the spoils in Saturday’s United Counties League Premier Division clash at Compton Park.
The visitors overcame the setback of conceding a goal inside the opening minutes and then having Jamie Stevens dismissed for dissent in the dying throes to pocket a point.
The Tigers had gone into the clash on the back of a superb away midweek victory at Yaxley which had been crafted by an excellent defensive display.
However, it took Cogenhoe just 80 seconds to breach the Tigers’ back line as Matt Long latched onto a ball in from the left before firing a low shot past Ricky Drury in the Holbeach goal.
The Cooks continued to have the better of the opening exchanges with Jack Bartley being denied by Drury after he had stolen a march on centre-back Nick Jackson.
Holbeach responded with Tyler Wright heading over from a dangerous Jake Clitheroe cross and Jake Walton firing a first-time shot over the crossbar.
The Tigers got back on level terms after 13 minutes when Jonny Allen’s foray into the box saw him brought down by Dan Stevenson and Stuart Eason converted the resultant spot kick.
Parity lasted only a quarter-of-an-hour though as Cogenhoe regained the lead just before the half-hour mark.
Sean McBride laid the foundations for the move which saw Ryan Tuck’s cross met by a diving header from Luke Stone which beat Drury.
Stone came close to adding a third with a sweet volley which was well saved by Drury as the Cooks held their advantage going into half-time.
Cogenhoe continue to create the better chances after the break with Eoin O’Herlihy just failing to latch onto a Ryan Lovell cross.
Matt Long then had a penalty appeal rejected after going down under a challenge from Jackson as Cogenhoe looked for a crucial third goal.
Holbeach hit back with goalbound blocks from the home defence keeping them at bay from an Aaron Eyett corner and then Wright saw a powerful shot saved by Anthony O’Conner.
The introduction of Josh Ford gave Holbeach an extra attacking impetus and they got back on level terms with 14 minutes remaining.
Spencer Tinkler was allowed time on the right to cross and pick out Clitheroe who netted with a powerful downward header.
The goal seemed to lift Holbeach and Ford was denied by a superb save from O’Conner who tipped over his goalbound screamer.
Sub Kieron Fitzgerald almost made an instant impact for the visitors as he was inches away from connecting with Matt Long’s dangerous in-swinging free-kick.
Clitheroe headed over for Holbeach under pressure from the home defence while Eason mistimed his connection from Eyett’s cross as the Tigers finished on top.
Tinkler saw a header saved by O’Conner from a corner before Stevens’ dismissal in injury-time saw Holbeach settle for a point.
Tigers: Drury, Stevens, Cartwright, Tinkler, Jackson, Allen, Walton (Ford 64), Eyett, Eason, Clitheroe, Wright. Subs not used: Coddington, Worthington, Warfield, Roberts (gk).

Leave a Reply