The route of a new relief road around Spalding may change after a backlash from residents whose homes could be lost in the project.
One resident of Bourne Road said there had been no contact with him or his neighbours about the route.
Lincolnshire County Council is currently consulting on the South West Relief Road and the suggestion that nine homes could be demolished was news to those who live in them.
“They will take me out in a digger bucket with a chain around me. That’s the only way they will get me out of my home,” said Richard Holland, who was stunned to discover his home was under the central section of the new link road.
“We have heard nothing. I wouldn’t know if someone hadn’t shown me a leaflet they had been given. We certainly had no leaflets along here,” he said.
“I have spent £8,500 on solar panels and a lot of money on our home of 20 years. We were going to put in a new kitchen but don’t know what to do now. When we moved here we thought we would be safe from this type of thing. We have countryside in front and church land behind, but then this,” said Mr Holland, who added that his family would be contacting Sir John Hayes, MP for South Holland and the Deepings.
But Lincolnshire County Council has said it would now look at previously mentioned routes for that section of the new road.
“In light of the issues and concerns raised over the past week, we will be reviewing all of our options at the end of this engagement process.
“This includes revisiting older alignments, like the one through the allotments just west of Spalding,” said Richard Davies, executive member for highways.
“I am extremely sorry for the distress this situation has caused, and will be asking the project team to explain why they didn’t contact affected residents directly beforehand,” he added. Some 14,000 leaflets were distributed and adverts placed.
“We’ve a lot of sympathy for those potentially affected,” said Mr Davies who also stated it could be ten years before work starts.
But Mr Holland said apologies were no use to his family or his neighbours whose homes were now potentially blighted, leaving them in limbo as to their future.
County and district council member Angela Newton arranged a meeting last Wednesday in Pode Hall for affected residents.
The consultation process runs until March 8 and Coun Newton has forms for those who wish to complete them. There is also a website linked from the county council.
She said the matter had been handled very badly and she had spent most of the weekend talking to residents and handing out leaflets.
“I have seen some very angry people and raised the matter at a full county council meeting on Friday when an apology was made,” she said.
Coun Newton added that if anyone wants a copy of a consultation form, or wants one returned to the county council in Lincoln, she can be contacted on 07939 559764 or via email: email@example.com